Skip to main content

The Many Faces of Woot

Yeah. Yay. Hoorah. Boorah. OMG. OMFG. Yippee. Youser. There are many ways to express pure, utter delight, awesomeness, triumph, glory, excitement, etc. You name it. If it is something to be happy about, there is sure to be a short word or acronym that is understood by the masses to convey that this thing about which you are so happy is a BFD. But the one word--or words--that I just can't get my head around is woot. I mean, is it supposed to be woot, or whoot? Woo-hoo or Woot-hoot? Woot-woot or....you get the drift. How is this supposed to be spelled and where did these many variations come from?

Searching deep within my soul, I did the only thing I could, which was to go to urbandictionary.com and investigate the matter. Because, I'm here to tell you, I have been totally SMOed over this for some time. I mean really. Seriously. For real. But sadly, what I learned, as is usually the case with urbandictionary and all things in cyberspace, there is no one right answer.


What I found, surprisingly, is that many of the variations of all things woot have origins in gaming, as in "We Owned the Other Team." Or, a combo of "Wow, Loot!" in Dungeons and Dragons. Although the site linked above suggests that Julia Roberts did a "Woot! Woot! Woot!" in Pretty Woman (Polo Scene), I would argue that since this movie was popular in the era of Arsenio Hall, she was actually yelling "Whoop! Whoop!" But since neither I nor the squidoo poster will probably (proly) ever get access to the original screen play, we will have to lay this one on the table. And, oh dear, I have severely digressed.

Now, back to the topic at hand--all things woot. I suppose it is perfectly fine to write whoot whoot, especially if you are Australian and would like to say "what?" Personally, I think the person who posted that definition of whoot is confusing Australians with Canadians, but meh, what aboot it? Anyway, suffice it to say, one would be correct in simply spelling it woot woot, especially if one is a hacker or gamer and knows that the "o" should really be "0". If you want to express even greater excitement, you might be inclined to say "Woot Hoot!" If you would like to show your age, you might want to stick with Woohoo. I would, however, caution one in using the term hoot hoot, which could be as benign as a Pokemon character or mean something entirely, altogether different, unless, of course you are an owl and have no other words in your dictionary. I guess there is nothing more to say on this but "Whatever! Get your woot, whoot, woo, hoo, woohoo, on and have a hoot, cuz I don't give a hoot!"

(Photo credit: photograph of the book cover "The Book of Awesome" by Neil Pasricha)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me

It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll! That’s all it took. Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene. But, I digress.

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"