Skip to main content

Please Don't Pick Me, Please Don't Pick Me, Please Don't Pick Me.....

It's my first day. I watch as the crowd exchanges cheers and jeers back and forth each time a new kid gets picked. I look back and forth from team to team and wonder with whom will I get stuck. It's my turn. They call my name again. Reluctantly, I rise and stroll to my fate. Taking my time. Dragging my feet so as to defer the agony that surely awaits. Now, it's time. I approach the stage and take the seat. Onto my head the Sorting Hat goes. And now.....I will forever be....a member of the house of.......

Ok, so I'm not a character in the Harry Potter series. J. K. Rowling apparently did not even think to write me into the script. How could this be? Must be a mistake, because I surely feel like a character. Only the screen play is Reality. The setting, Life. The stage hands, those who set the norms. The players, you and me. And now.....Action.

We are taught from an early age to be careful who we hang with, else we'll get a reputation. If you lie with dogs, after all. Well, you know what happens. But we all know that no two dogs are a like. And unlike having your fate lie in the wisdom of a sorting hat, your fate, and how you are perceived, lies within. You don't have to wait to be picked for the right team. Just join it. You shouldn't have to be given a script. Just write it. For if you wait to be picked and for the script to be written, you will likely be disappointed. And likely stereotyped right into a team to which you thought you did not belong.

It is easy to stereotype. There are way too many opportunities for that. How many times have we prefaced a statement about that "crazy" relative with, "God love 'em, but..." Why do we do that? Well, quite plainly, we don't want to be lumped in with "that lot." We don't want to be stereotyped, ourselves. Especially when this stereotyping means getting lumped together with a crowd we despise. So, perhaps we would do each other best to not lump each other in with that lot. That will just lead to each of us thinking the other is on the wrong team, but in reality, we could be fighting for each other instead of with each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me

It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll! That’s all it took. Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene. But, I digress.

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"