Skip to main content

The Antisociality of Social Media: Spies Like Us?

BREAKING: MEDIA NEWS: Millions outraged by reports of a massive spying by the National Security Agency have taken to social media to share the intimate details of their lives in protest.

Mary Jean Andreson of Cornerville, WI posted this on Facebook in response to the NSA scandal: "Why the heck does the NSA care that my husband is a no good, lazy crumb who never takes the trash out?"

Kevin Treadway of Penooka, MO also expressed his outrage by sharing the details of his dating life on Facebook: "Dumped again. Girls suck. So what if I chew my food with my mouth open and talk while drinking? You've never seen beer trickle down someone's chin? Come on! I'm never asking anyone out again. EVER!!!! Got that, NSA?????????

Susan Leapletter of Turnbridge County, TX, who was --feeling crappy, was even more irate with her status update: "My boss and coworkers are such a losers! Who cares if I took extra office supplies home. Doesn't EVERYONE?!?!?!? Why do I put up with this crap? Got some answers for me, NSA! Spying pondscum!"

The backlash is not confined to Facebook. Twitter has been jammed with tweets tagged #HeyNSA and #GetThisNSA, among others.

@StinkyOne tweeted 'No sense in getting up today. Report due. Not done! #GotThatNSA

@CoolMoeMe was among the twitter uses expressing frustration with: '@MileyCyrus keep the wrecking balls coming, girl! #FYeahNSA

Social media users want answers. And it is clear that they will keep asking the questions on social media until they get some.

UPDATE: Reports have now surfaced that millions others have begun reading the details of the lives of millions as posted on social media outlets. It is unclear if this will be followed by liking, commenting and sharing. Stay tuned for more information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me

It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll! That’s all it took. Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene. But, I digress.

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"