Skip to main content

More Than Just Hospital Corners

My first job out of high school was a part time gig at a nursing home as a Tray Aide. My main duties were to make beds, exchange linens, fill ice and water pitchers in residents' rooms and help the Nurse Aides as needed. It wasn't long before I realized that the most important duty was one that was not a featured bullet in my position description, and that was to smile and greet each resident as I entered their home. Think for a moment, how it must feel to sit day after day in a "home" while being treated as a "patient." If taking a little extra care while making beds and chatting a bit with the residents brought them a little closer to home, well, it was the least I could do.

One such resident was quite close to my heart. Agnes was a petite lady, with gray, thick hair and eyes that had long since retired, having lived a life of paying close attention to detail. Although Agnes could not see very well, she had a sixth sense in knowing who had entered the room. I tried not to wear any strong scents to work, as I knew that could be irritating to those feeling under the weather, so I do not think it was my scent she picked up. Perhaps it was the sound of my feet as I entered her room. We all have a characteristic gait, after all. I don't know what her trick was. All I know is that Agnes seemed to know I was present before I even had a chance to speak.

As I went about my task of changing the linens and making the bed, we passed the time with small talk. She would ask me about school. Are my classes hard? I would ask her about her family. Will your son be coming this Sunday? Through these exchanges, Agnes slipped in subtle directions on how she liked her bed made. Sheets pulled taut, corners tucked in, covers folded down, but not too far and pillows arranged just so. Agnes liked a well-made bed and through her instruction, I learned to make what was, in her eyes, the perfectly made bed.

On Saturdays, there were two Tray Aides on duty and I sometimes found myself working on another wing besides the one where Agnes resided. About an hour into my shift, my colleague would come trudging down the hallway of my wing. "Agnes wants you to make her bed," she'd say. And we would trade assignments for the remainder of the shift. "That girl is nice, but she just doesn't make the bed like you do," Agnes would say. "Feel how loose that is." And throughout the next few minutes, I would assure my friend that she would be quite pleased with her well-made bed when it came time to lie down that afternoon. I'd also relate my latest assignment in English class and she would show me the latest picture of her grandkids, which I am sure she could barely see. And to each other we would impart a simple, basic need that makes life worth living. Without definition or explanation or demonstration, we each gained a little bit of dignity.

As Thanksgiving approaches, take a moment to say thanks to those who toil day in and day out, doing what is in their "job description." That quiet housekeeper who picks up your trash; the waitress who keeps your coffee warm; the clerk who sets your groceries in your cart carefully, without smashing the bread. Whatever the occasion may be, think for a moment what would be lacking if these folks were not there to do what is in their job description. Something as simple as tucking in the sheets just so may have been just a job to me, but to my friend, it was a little bit of home and a whole lot of respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me

It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll! That’s all it took. Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene. But, I digress.

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"