Skip to main content

Let Me Tell You Somethin'

So, I am not exactly the beacon of organization. I know this. I hide it well, but I know this to be true. Well, I guess I hide it well except for the four stacks of papers on my desk with themes like "stuff to file", "stuff to read", "stuff to read and then file" and "?". Another tell-tale sign lies deep within the drawer of my cherished antique desk that I once restored and saved from that ghastly, thick layer of dark green paint by which it was once covered. I pray that no nosey parkers open it, for inside lies every greeting card I've ever received, old keys, old key chains, junk mail that I refuse to believe is junk, all swimming around waiting to see the light of day. Or, more realistically, light of the living room. But, I digress.

Anywho, although my organizational skills are a figment of the imaginations of those who hire me for my organizational skills, and that is a shortcoming, I am capable of learning from my mistakes. Please allow me to share my latest lessons learned that may save me (and you, if you are like me) some valuable time on that typical day where you are running late and just cannot afford to waste time on frivolous tasks like finding your car keys.

1. When you arrive home after a long day at work and it is dark and cold and rainy, and you realize as soon as you walk through the front door that you left your watch in the car, go immediately to the car and get it. Do not say to yourself, "Oh well. I'll get it in the morning. I won't forget it is in the car. What moron would do that?" This happened to me this week. Tired, cold, damp and not wanting to trek back across the street to my car (I had already set my keys down and had taken my coat off), I just decided to leave my watch in the car with the assumption that I would remember where it is in the morning. Never make assumptions. The next morning I spent ten good minutes looking for said watch before I remembered those words I said to myself the previous evening, "You won't forget your watch is in the car. Just leave it."

2.  When you look in the mirror with your glasses on, say to yourself out loud so you can hear, "Hey, I am wearing my glasses. They are on my face." Do this to avoid the inevitable and embarrassing fifteen minutes wasted looking for glasses that are ON YOUR FACE!

3. If you use your phone as an alarm clock, please put it in the same room in which you are sleeping.

4. I do not think I have to explain why number 3 is imperative.

5. If you remember to put your alarm clock/phone in the same room in which you are sleeping, also check to see that it is off "silent."

6. See number 4.

7. When you come home from work and change clothes and as you do so, a button falls off your sweater, sew it back on immediately. Do not put it off with the rationale that you will do it when you are less tired, or during the Bears game, or after dinner, etc. Invariably, you will forget about the missing button until you put on the sweater on the same morning that numbers 1-6 happen and you really don't want to wear anything else. You will find yourself relenting and spending another 30 minutes (I have fat fingers, don't laugh) doing a quick mending job with unmatched thread.

So there you are. Learn from my mistakes. Heloise might have some helpful hints, but I have many d'oh moments from which my wisdom pours forth. And, whatever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me

It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll! That’s all it took. Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene. But, I digress.

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"