Skip to main content

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me


It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll!

That’s all it took.

Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene.

But, I digress.


Anyway, my newbie fan status shouldn’t render my fanaticism moot. As a life-long Cubs fan, I know what it means to stick. I have not, nor will I ever, abandon my teams, even in the wake of defeat. Thankfully, I happen to be a fan of the US Women’s National Team, so abandonment in the wake of defeat is not an issue. Yes, I said the US WNT. You know—the Olympic Gold Medalists. That team. This same team brought women’s sports to the international stage when they almost clinched the 2011 Women's World Cup.

While the loss was heartbreaking, the wins on the home front were immense. Finally, the US got excited about women’s sports. Our young female athletes now have adult athletes who look like them to look up to. Girls do not have to file that dream of becoming an elite athlete under “G” for Glory Days upon high school graduation. A lot of hard work, a little bit of luck and maybe they can become the next Abby Wambach, Hope Solo or Christie Rampone.

After watching each match of the 2012 Summer Olympics, I was drawn even further into this vortex of soccer/futbol. This was, in large part, a major contributing factor to my post-Olympic withdrawal. So when the US WNT came to Toyota Park, south of Chicago, on October 20th, I jumped at the chance to see the team in action.

What an experience that was. The energy. The spirit. The never-say-die resilience. And that was just the crowd. When the team took the field for pre-game warm ups, we were all on the edge of our seats trying to get a closer look at our world champions. This wasn’t easy to do from the second level. During the anthems and team introductions, it was almost impossible to distinguish each player from the other. (Sorry girls, but from that far up, and facing your backs, y’all look the same to me.)

The only exception to this blurred sight for sore eyes was Megan Rapinoe. That head of blonde, wild hair is unmistakable, even from a distance. Everything I’ve read about Ms. Rapinoe suggests that she is one of the best soccer players alive. The technical skill, intuition and the swagger with which she carries herself on the field is unmatched to my rookie soccer fan eye. As a bonus, all accounts point to her character being defined by wit, a sense of humor, good-natured spirit and dedication to her team and fans. Sounds like good people to me.

Each player on the US WNT is remarkable, but Ms. Rapinoe appears to be a leader on the field—nailing corner shots and landing crosses squarely on the invisible bullseye on Abby Wambach’s forehead of steel. It is no wonder that she was granted a spot on the Olympic team. We only send the best to these games, right? We tell our teams to make us proud. We tell them that they represent their country, and in turn, all the greatness therein. We tell them that as the American Olympians, this greatness has been found in them.

Standing there with the rest of the crowd, my hand on my heart as the National Anthem played; I could not help but think that the US was spot on in picking the right women to represent our country. I thought, “Wow. These girls deserve our utmost respect.” And then it dawned on me—Megan Rapinoe, as a lesbian, has not been granted the same level of respect from her country as she has shown us.

What a crock of bull.

Ms. Rapinoe has not been afforded the same rights and protections that my husband and I have. We could have been married in any state of the Union. She cannot. When my husband and I move across state lines, we do not have to wait for the citizens of our new residence to validate our marriage via ballot measure. As a heterosexual married couple, recognition and validation are a given. Ms. Rapinoe would not be so lucky. Back up 16 some odd years, and let’s pretend my betrothed and I decided we didn’t want to get married. We would have had the privilege of making that decision and doing so because it is our choice—not because some law said we couldn’t, or that views on straight marriage are still evolving.

If something should happen to either of us, God forbid, the other would reserve the right to survivor benefits—and without penalty, too. In the meantime, as spouses, we can add each other to our medical benefits to prevent the God-forbidden occurrence of something happening. If we’d like to adopt a child, the hoops to jump through would be immense, but not as immense as those Ms. Rapinoe would face.

Megan Rapinoe perfects her seal impersonation at Toyota Park.






























Now, I will never be an Olympic champion. I’m an average Jane Q. Public. My big patriotic contributions are voting and paying taxes. I will never be sent by my country to be the face of the US with the instructions to make my country proud. I will never have the flag draped around my shoulders as I fall to my knees in tears after winning the Gold medal match. I will never stand proudly, and respectfully, with my hand on my heart as the world watches and my national anthem is played after the medal has been hung around my neck. I will never do all of that and then come back to a country that does not show me the same level of respect as I have shown her.

But Megan Rapinoe has. And Megan Rapinoe deserves the same rights as me.

She doesn’t deserve them because she is an elite athlete. She doesn’t deserve them because she has a gold medal. She doesn’t deserve them because she is witty, or a nice person, or a reportedly good friend and teammate. And she definitely doesn’t deserve them because her hair has its own twitter account.

Megan Rapinoe deserves the same rights as me for the pure and simple reason that she, too, is an American. I think it is about time we give them to her.

Popular posts from this blog

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"