Skip to main content

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 6: Cute Puppies are Cute

Like if you like chocolate. 
Share if you love chocolate.
 Comment if you have no taste buds, but would definitely give chocolate a shout out. 
Ignore if you are the devil.

--A true smartass

I posted that as my Facebook status update the other day. Granted, it did not reflect the fact that my heart rate, pulse and breaths per minute were all normal (#clinicalstatusjokes), nor did it answer the pressing Facebook question, "What's going on, Tina?" 

But it did satisfy my inner social scientist inquiring mind. As a result of this little experiment, I can conclude that 13 of my friends like chocolate, none love chocolate, two do not have taste buds, but would give chocolate a shout out, and the rest are all the devil's spawn. Either that or they just rolled their eyes, shook their heads and said, "Oh, for the love of Rudolph! How do you hide people from showing up in your News Feed?" Devil's spawn is funnier, though.


For all social media's faults, our online tools of communication have sparked a resurgence of the chain letter. Remember those nights of lying awake wondering if in three days a bolt of lightning was going to strike you down because you tossed that chicken scratch letter in the trash and didn't mail it to the 17th person under the G-names in the phone book? Remember the phone book?

Now the chain letters come in the form of taunting images with captions that insist you are going to suffer the wrath of hell fire if you don't "like" or "share." Sometimes they are made and posted by well-meaning folk who just want to make people think and spread a little love. Sometimes they are shared by not-so-well-meaning folk who just have far too much time on their hands. Regardless of the initiating poster, they all serve the purpose to remind you of one thing--you are a horrible person who does not love your mother and likes to kick puppies.

Well I don't consider myself a horrible person. I love my mother dearly. And if it weren't for lease limitations and allergies, I'd be a kind Cruella De Vil, hoarding all the cute puppies for my own cuddling purposes. To set the record straight, I do not think any of my friends are the devil's spawn, either.

So, dear readers, I'd like to take this opportunity to preempt any tests of my affection by instituting some standing "like" orders. While some of this may constitute stating the obvious, it bears repeating for the simple purpose of keeping me safe from random bolts of lightning.

  1. Cute puppies are cute. Period.
  2. So are cute kittens.
  3. As a matter of fact, baby animals of all kind are cute.
  4. Well, except for naked mole rats. Those are ugly.
  5. And so are baby warthogs. Eeek!
  6. Alright, I'll relent. Baby animals are cute. Period. I have to consider that there are different strokes for different folks. Who am I to judge folks who like to stroke baby warthogs? Have at it, freaky people.
  7. I love my Mom.
  8. I love my Dad.
  9. I love all Moms and Dads.
  10. My husband is the best.
  11. Your husband is the best. If you say so. Just quit bitching about him, now that you have posted that he is the best.
  12. I want all kids to be healthy, safe and loved.
  13. I love my God. You can love yours. All the rest can love cute puppies.
  14. Little kids singing are cute. Except for when they make up the sound track of scary movies. Then, not so cute.
  15. Freedom is good. Freedom is great. 2016. Save the date.
  16. Can't help but rhyme sometime.
  17. If you think it is cute, then fine, it's cute.
  18. Anything not listed in here is cute.
  19. Any moms, dads, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, etc. are the best.
  20. Cute puppies are still cute.








Popular posts from this blog

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me

It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll! That’s all it took. Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene. But, I digress.

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"