Skip to main content

The Non-Girlie Girl's Guide to Shopping, Part 2: The Trouble With Shoes

Shoes tell a story
Of everyone you meet
What people wear
To hide their feet
Boots to make you sturdy
Sandals to make you free
A holey pair of slip-on shoes
Will do just fine by me

--Tina Kovach (now Henne)

I wrote that stupid little poem in high school.  My English teacher thought it was a catchy little ditty and wanted me to expand upon the already quirky rhyme. She even threw in her own take on shoes. While I appreciated the feedback, I refused to alter my then-masterpiece for the following reasons:

  1. I thought her added lines were dumb
  2. I was in the thick of the "you're not the boss of me" 15-year old bitch phase and just wasn't having it
  3. I felt that eight lines was more than enough to express my feelings about shoes
The deeper meaning of my poetic genius lies in the observation that we are, at times, books that can be judged by our covers (for added cliche bonus--we wear our hearts on our sleeves, our lives are open books, march to the beat of different drums, different strokes for different folks, yadda yadda yadda). But really, it could be as simplistic as expressing my apathetic attitude towards shoes. Just give me something to cover my feet and prevent cockoburs and broken glass from getting stuck in my soles and I'll be happy.



Given the time frame (circa sophomore year) in which this poem was written, the motivation was quite likely that one occasion when I came home from softball practice to discover that my favorite pair of torn up, worn out, stained beyond recognition, canvas, no lace slip on shoes, had been thrown in the trash. In a fit of disgust and under the influence of the I-can't-take-it-anymore poltergeist, my mother had thrown away my favorite pair of shoes.

Now, I don't have many favorites in life. I don't have a favorite song. Not much for picking a favorite color. And aside from chocolate, which in my humble opinion, is really the fifth humor, I don't have a favorite food. But, I do have a favorite sweatshirt, a favorite pillow and at one time, a favorite pair of shoes--until Mother got a hold of them. At first, my reaction was the typical teenage, "You don't understand!" I remember feeling something along the lines of contempt for authoritarian figures. How could my Mom just throw away my favorite shoes like that? She obviously doesn't understand what it is like to be ME! However, considering my disdain for shopping, I now suspect that my disappointment in my shoes getting tossed stemmed from the fact that this meant I would have to go shoe shopping. Oy vey.

In my first ever poorly composed post on this mindless blog, I informed you, dear reader, of my disdain for the shopping and more specifically, the Apple Store. I will now submit to you another reason why shopping is not a necessary evil--it is just plain evil. You will now see the shoe aisle through my eyes and recognize it as the pit of hellfire that it is.

First, though, you must understand my fashion sense--or lack thereof. Here is my philosophy on matching shoes to outfits:

  1. Black pants = black shoes
  2. Brown pants = brown shoes of a slightly different tone
  3. If you don't have brown shoes, then brown pants = black shoes
  4. Jeans = black or brown shoes
  5. Gray pants = black shoes
See the pattern emerging?

Now imagine that you need a pair of plain, brown, lace-ups. Doesn't matter why you need them. Doesn't matter if you need them for work or casual dress. All you need to know is that you need a f***ing pair of brown, lace-up shoes.

You are standing at the head of the aisle, peering down towards the end, where the brown lace-ups are racked, getting the lay of the land. At first you are taken aback by what lies ahead--a sordid mess of boxes, shoes, tissue paper and those heavy-ass foot measuring contraptions. It appears that Catty and Messy had a cat fight and messy won. And then you see the red dots and you understand--there was a sale today. It all makes sense now.

You take a step, confident that you have mapped out the path of least resistance, when suddenly, the unthinkable happens. Around the far corner shuffles the lazy shopper. The browser. The type that acts like she really isn't interested in buying shoes at that moment, but is sure to snatch up the one pair you want the nanosecond before you reach them.

And then the reserves follow--the family of four, as in c'est la vie Mom and three kids under four. The two oldest fight for control over the one stool that isn't covered in half empty shoe boxes. The youngest is busy building a barricade of boots. Mom is eying up a pair of red F-me pumps and the out-of-place, suede Mary Janes. She's confused about their presence and is wondering if they were placed there by a displeased shopper or if there is a hidden super-sale sticker somewhere on the box.


Claiming what might be your last breath, you venture down the aisle. You trip over that blessed thing-a-ma-jig they use to measure feet. You endure a kick to the knee as you pass Mount Three-Year-Old. You negotiate your way around the boot barricade and two-year-old, sacrificing only your pride. Finally, you reach the brown lace-ups. Convincing yourself that they won't make you look like a prison warden, you search for your size.

Let's see--6--6.5--7--8--8.5. What the? No! Not again! All this time and effort. The struggle. The determination with which you made your way through that war zone of an aisle, leaving it all on the field. All this and for what? For nothing!

Out of 7.5's again.



Popular posts from this blog

Overpopulaton of Punctuation Marks Threatens Message Extinction

[Because this bears repeating in such desperate times] Scientists report that a recent rise in the overuse of punctuation marks will ultimately lead to the demise of the common message. It is not known if the increasing trend of ending a sentence with multiple and in some cases, mixed, punctuation marks is the result of the natural evolution of messaging, or if human actions are speeding the process. What is clear, though, is that punctuation marks and messages are not taking their impending doom lying down. In a rare twist of bipartisanship, punctuation marks and messages came together to call for measures to halt the message crisis and return our civilization back to the days of making points in a clear, concise manner. Speaking for the punctuators, Exclamation point stated, "I'm a loner. You don't need two of me. The whole purpose of my existence is to accentuate a  point. I thought I was doing that just fine already." Mr. Question Mark had this to

Megan Rapinoe Deserves the Same Rights as Me

It didn’t take long to get me hooked on soccer. One play did it for me, as a matter of fact. The sequence is unforgettable—Rapinoe to Wambach to Goooaaaaalllll! That’s all it took. Now, sure, I’m a late bloomer when it comes to footballing. I still don’t understand the game fully. The whole idea of “tackling” is a puzzle to me. Isn’t that essentially tripping your opponent? If so, isn’t that just downright rude? I still don’t know how soccer players are able to overcome the fear of getting kicked in the face. And you know that whole foot-eye coordination thing? Yeah, I did not inherit that gene. But, I digress.

The Antisociality of Social Media Part 10: Breaking Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BREAKING: ENTERTAINMENT NEWS: Reality TV power house, Bravo announced today that it will be addressing Punctuation Mark Addiction in a new series, Breaking  Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad Habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea for the show was pitched by the Collective Union of Simple Messages, or CUOSM, after a campaign to fight message loss through punctuation mark abuse failed miserably. CUOSM teamed up with the informal organization the Punctuators to stall what appeared to be unsustainable punctuation overpopulation. The message had an anticlimactic effect, though, when social media users started sharing the memes originating from the campaign, while adding comments like "So True!!!!!" and "IKR?????!!"